Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Wanting more from my Senators on Global Warming.

30 US senators recently stayed up all night to discuss the problem of global warming. Sadly my senators were not among them so I wrote to express my disappointment. I would encourage you to find out if your senators participated http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2014/03/11 and then write them. Here is my letter.

 Dear Honorable Debbie Stabenow and Carl Levin,

I was disappointed to see that you were not among the majority of Democratic senators who participated in the all-night speechathon addressing global warming. The effects of global climate change are tragic and will be irreversible. We all need to do our part to slow this destructive process.your role in this as a US Sen. is crucial.

As you probably know the planet Earth is currently experiencing what is called the sixth great extinction, five other times in Earth's history species have died off at the rate and magnitude that we are now witnessing species to go extinct. Regrettably,the cause this time is human activity. Fortunately we are not just a destructive species. Fortunately, we have the capacity to see the problem we have created, and fortunately we have the ability and often the heart to take actions  to lessen the destruction.

The sixth great extinction  is one of a number of problems we are beginning to encounter related to global warming. The magnitude of the problem is such that we all need beyond board to look for solutions.

For my part I tried to bring some awareness about global climate change to all the many aspects of my life.As a health professional I know that the climate crisis poses huge problems to global health, and I reflect on this as it relates to my clinical work. As a parent I try to raise my children to be aware of and engaged with this issue, they after all will have to inherent the world we leave them. As a consumer I make choices to maximize efficiency in my home my transportation and my appliances. As an active citizen I remember these issues while sitting on boards and participating groups and I look for opportunities for us to do things  that can in some small way help our troubled planet. Finally as a voter I expect that most from my representatives. Of all the little things I do nothing is as important as convincing you and your colleagues to act and to speak out against global warming.

Although the speechathon was a symbolic act, it was an important act of leadership.From my perspective there has been far too little federal leadership on global climate issues.I understand that in the current hostile political environment the chances for real legislation to address the global warming problem are slim at at best. Nonetheless, this is our best hope. Symbolic actions are important because they can inspire, and because they can shift the political environment. I have been meaning to write you about my concerns about global warming for some time. It took the leadership of your colleagues to inspire me to do so today.

in closing this letter I would like to make two requests. First, if you could communicate with me about your position on the issue of global climate change. Please include some account of your voting record on climate change legislation. Second,please promise me that you will take whatever action you can to help move our society towards a genuine environmentally sound solution to the crisis of global climate change.

I know I can count on you.

Sincerely,

Gaia Kile

No comments: