Saturday, April 4, 2009

Words I never thought I'd hear

"We can't reduce the threat of a nuclear weapon going off unless those that possess the most nuclear weapons, the United States and Russia, take serious steps to reduce our stockpiles," These are words I never thought I'd hear from a sitting American President. Sure I never thought I'd see a non-white president, but lets judge people by the content of their character not the color of their skin. Yes, I still oppose Obama's troop build up in Afghanistan. One has to take into account that this speech was really aimed at mobilizing world leaders against North Korea. And any politicians words are only as good as the actions they translate into. But even if he wasn't serious about cutting nuclear arms by one third in the next year and eventually eliminating all nuclear weapons, the notion that we would not have a double standard regarding nuclear weapons and military threat is unimaginable up to now in US foreign policy.

I think that we in the peace movement should have a celebration over this initiative.

No comments: